Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Youth is wasted on the young, because they think they have forever...

The adage youth is wasted on the young has been around i'm sure for quite a while. I used to think some old bitter geyser came up with it just because he was old already and couldn't stand it. But now when I think more about it, I have a strong feeling there was more to it than just the surface meaning. I think it doesn't just mean young people take youth for granted, but that they are not matured enough to know how to fully utilize and maximize their youth and strength. And because they think they're still young and not worried about growing old, they're not motivated at all to do anything near as productive as if they were old or going to die soon. If they thought they were running out of time then I'm sure many would not be so arrogant about themselves. When I encounter any rude or arrogant young person I always think: 'Wait 'till he gets old and we'll see if he still thinks he can get away with that kind of behaviour'. I know it's not good to think that way but some of them do really need a reality and 'mortality' check! Let's hope young people realise that life is fragile and can end anytime, it's no guarantee one will even get to grow old, so they should be grateful for the chance to be young.

No comments: