Thursday, November 13, 2008

Finding Neverland.

There is this wonderful movie, a gem that I just watched. I had actually watched it years ago but at that time did not have a blog. I just finished it with a friend and while watching it, got emotional all over again and cried a lot. It is one of the most touching movies I have seen, one with heart and soul which is rarely seen in movies nowadays. Coupled with a good script (it was adapted from a book) and a solid cast with sincere performances filled with conviction. It tells the story of how the author of Peter Pan came about writing the play and what inspired him to do so. It seems utterly believable even though there are quite a few scenes that seem too surreal and therein lies the magic, that we can see it with a childlike and innocent curiosity and not through an adult's jaded and judgmental thinking. Only then will the film mean anything. Magical...

1 comment:

Kenny Mah said...

Aye, this is a fine film. One of Depp's more restrained performances and Winslet shines as always. I think the real star for me though, would be Freddie Highmore. The kid is just brilliant! Another Jamie Bell in the making, methinks.

Have you watched "Gosford Park"? I think you will like that, if you enjoyed this. That one is lighter, but still very English and contains some of the best ensemble performances I've seen on film.